We understand that sometimes people feel they aren’t getting the right support. We want to know so we can improve things. We also like hearing when we get things right.

We try and provide the best service possible. However, there may be times when you may feel like you haven’t been dealt with as well as you should have.

If this happens, we want to know. We want the opportunity to put things right.

The complaint form should be completed if you’re unhappy with any service provided by us and we will investigate it.

Return the complaints form to jeni.meyrick@socialcare.wales or by post to:

Jeni Meyrick
Complaints Officer
Social Care Wales
Southgate House
Wood Street
CF10 1EW

If your complaint is about a registered social care worker, please go to Raising a concern.


When we get things right we’d like to know. This helps us learn and improve. Contact us at jeni.meyrick@socialcare.wales or 029 2078 0672.