These allowances are only for Masters in social work degree students awarded a social work bursary. Undergraduate students can find out about allowances at Student Finance Wales.

Income Assessed Grants and Allowances (IAGA)

As a Masters student, you may be able to claim the following

  • Adult dependants grant – £2,645
  • Parents learning allowance – £1,505
  • Childcare grant.

This depends on whether your household income is below the level decided by us.

Students with an adult dependant

Some students are financially responsible for an adult dependant. This is usually a spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner. If you are, the amount awarded will depend on both your incomes. When you apply, you’ll need to give details about your circumstances and information about the dependant person.

Parents who study

Some students are financially responsible for children under 16 or, under 18 in full-time education. If you are, we can contribute towards costs during the year on books and equipment. The amount awarded depends on your income and that of your dependants.

If you have children in registered or approved childcare, you may be able to get the childcare grant. The amount awarded is income-assessed. You can get:

  • one child – up to £8,330 per year
  • two or more children – up to £14,285 per year.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Disabled students can apply for an allowance towards costs associated with study.

This includes costs for specialist equipment or for a non-medical helper. The allowance is only available to students who’ll have extra costs because of a disability or learning difficulty.

Eligibility will be assessed. The DSA assessment is carried out by a person with specialist experience. It’s done at an independent assessment centre or at the applicant’s university or college.

This assessment aims to match an applicant’s needs with facilities available on the course.

If you apply for the DSA, you’ll need to include evidence of your disability. This can be a letter from a doctor or specialist.

If you haven’t received any formal diagnosis, you will need to, before applying for DSA. We can’t pay the costs of diagnosing your disability.

How to apply

If you have questions or you want to apply for IAGA or the DSA please contact us.

If appropriate, we’ll send you an invite to access the application forms within your SCWonline account.

The closing date is 1 October 2019.