Removal by Agreement means that through this process, a registered person can apply to be removed from the Register without being referred to a Panel.
A registered person can apply for this at any stage in the fitness to practise process.
Applying for removal by agreement does not mean that a registered person has the right to be removed, but it enables Social Care Wales to agree to removal in an appropriate case.
1. Mrs Vicki Corcoran registered with Social Care Wales ("SCW") as a Domiciliary Care Worker on 11 March 2020.
2. Mrs Corcoran was employed in that role as a support worker by Natures Hand Care and Support Limited ("Natures Hand") at a supported living home ("the Home").
Referral to SCW
3. On 14 May 2020, SCW received a referral from Natures Hand. This confirmed that Mrs Corcoran had been dismissed from her role on 11 May 2020 due to an allegation of physical assault on Person A during an incident on 1 May 2020. Person A is a supported individual who was a resident at the Home. Person A is non-verbal and cannot convey many feelings or emotions.
4. This incident followed a previous allegation of physical abuse made against Mrs Corcoran involving a different service user at the Home, whereby Mrs Corcoran admitted to inappropriately moving a service user's legs from a table.
The allegations against Mrs Corcoran
5. In relation to the incident concerning Person A, this occurred on the morning of 1 May 2020 at the Home. Colleague B, a colleague of Mrs Corcoran who was present at the time, witnessed it. At approximately 11:30am, when she was not aware that Colleague B was present, Mrs Corcoran:
a. spoke aggressively and shouted at Person A; and
b. slapped Person A on one or more occasions.
6. Colleague B proceeded to challenge Mrs Corcoran about what she had witnessed and was asked by Mrs Corcoran not to say anything about the incident.
7. However, Colleague B reported what had happened and Mrs Corcoran was asked to leave the Home. Mrs Corcoran was subsequently suspended and Natures Hand commenced an investigation.
8. Mrs Corcoran has now applied for removal of her registration by agreement. This Statement of Agreed Facts has been prepared for the purpose of that application.
9. Mrs Corcoran confirms her agreement to the facts set out in this statement.
10. Mrs Corcoran confirms that it is not her intention to work in the future in any capacity which would require her to be registered by SCW and that she wishes her name to be removed from SCW's register by agreement under Rule 9 of the Investigation Rules 2020.
11. If, contrary to her expressed intention, Mrs Corcoran should make an application for registration with SCW at a future date, Mrs Corcoran acknowledges that SCW may have regard to the contents of this statement when considering such an application.