What is the Code of Practice?
The Code sets standards, or rules, for all care professionals who work in Wales. The Code sets out what you must do and how you must behave to provide the best care.
The Code says social care workers must:
- Respect your views and put your needs first
- Gain your trust and confidence
- Help you be safe and healthy
- Respect your rights while keeping you and other people safe
- Be honest with you
- Make sure they have the knowledge and skills to do their job well.
There is also practice guidance available to support registered workers in their role. Practice guidance are practical tools for specific groups of registered social care workers.
The Code for workers
The Code puts the well-being of individuals at the centre of decisions about their care and support.
To test your knowledge of the Code, there’s free online training on our Learning Zone.
The Caring with Pride training challenges you to show how well you know the Code by completing a short online test. If you pass the test you will get a Caring with Pride certificate.
The Code for employers
The Code of Practice for Social Care Employers standards required of employers to ensure a safe, skilled and appropriately supported workforce.
Care and Inspectorate Wales (CIW) can take action if employers fail to comply with the Code.
What to do if you have a concern
We want to make sure that everyone knows about the Code. The standards are there to help people using support live their lives in the way they want.
If you have a concern about the standard of care being delivered you can:
- Read the Code to check all the standards
- Share your concerns with your care worker’s employer and ask what they will do
- If the employer doesn’t deal with your concerns, you can ask for a copy of their complaints procedure to help you know what to do next
- If the worker is registered with us and talking to the employer hasn’t helped you can contact us
- If you’re concerned about the standard of care provided by a company or organisation you can contact Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).
The Code is available in BSL format. The video will help you get an understanding of what you can expect from your care worker.
Practice guidance for registered workers
We have practice guidance for registered workers to describe what is expected in their role. They are a practical tool, helping practice and contributing to good outcomes for people using services.
The Code remains the primary document. Practice guidance is used to expand on how to meet the standards in the Code.
Registered workers and their employers should make sure they’re familiar with the guidance relevant to their area of work. Serious or persistent failure to follow practice guidance can put a worker's registration at risk.
There is also explanatory guidance available. These provide more detail on some of the principles in the practice guidance.