We recognise that a personal assistant’s role is important. They can make a real difference to someone’s life. It’s important that personal assistants have opportunities to develop their knowledge and skills. This will help them provide safe and good quality support.
The employer toolkit for supporting the learning of personal assistants has guidance, examples and tools to help employers support their personal assistants.
It includes information and resources on:
- the benefits of learning and training for your personal assistants and you
- preparing to employ the right personal assistants
- introducing your personal assistants to their new role
- ongoing learning and development
- learning, training and qualifications
- how to meet your personal assistants’ learning and training needs.
The toolkit also has links to support, local authority contacts, and training coordinators. Watch this short video where Damian Bridgeman, Zoe Williams and Mared Llwyd talk about the toolkit.
Assessment of qualifications
The assessment of personal assistants needs to be approached creatively and sensitively. This is because they're employed and work in their employer’s own home.
This guidance helps assessors and learning providers.