The Code of Practice for Social Care Employers (Employers’ Code) sets standards for employers. It describes what is expected to ensure a safe, skilled and appropriately supported social care workforce.
It comes into force on 2 April 2018 and replaces the Code of Practice for Social Care Employers published in 2002. We needed to develop the new standards in accordance with the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016 (the Act). The Employers' Code will be enforced by Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) who can take action if employers fail to comply.
It is part of a range of initiatives that will be implemented in April to support employers and the workforce.
Hywel Dafydd, Assistant Director of Regulation, said:
“Implementing a new Employers’ Code is a positive step towards achieving world class care for Wales. Clear guidelines will empower employers and ensure the workforce is supported. Setting expectations based on the principles of the Act will make sure all social care employers have the right processes and systems in place to safeguard and support staff and the individuals they support.”
The main principles of the Employers’ Code are:
- Make sure new workers are suitable and understand their roles and responsibilities.
- Have policies, systems and practices in place to enable workers to meet their Code of Professional Practice for Social Care (the Code).
- Provide and support learning and development opportunities.
- Have policies and systems to protect people from damaging or dangerous situations, behaviour and practice.
- Promote the Code of Professional Practice and co-operate with our fitness to practisce proceedings.
It is available as a PDF download and an app will be available soon.