If you qualified or are due to study in the UK

Advice about applying for registration in Wales.

Note for Students: Please don’t create a SCWonline account or apply to register until you receive an invite from us to do so.

Applying to register

If you are a domiciliary worker please see

Domiciliary care workers – what you need to know

To apply to the Register of Social Care Workers (the Register) use SCWonline.

It should take around 30 minutes.

Applications can be saved and completed in stages.

It won’t be received by us until

  • the application is fully complete
  • payment is made and
  • you click ‘submit’.

SCWonline is accessible on a smart phone, PC or tablet.

Everyone who applies to register must agree to abide by the Code of Professional Practice for Social Care.

Refusing a registration

We can refuse registration and we can impose sanctions such as:

  • restrictions on working
  • training requirements
  • work experience.

We investigate if there’s evidence that questions someone’s suitability to work in social care.

If you’re a first time applicant

To apply for the first time you’ll need to create a SCWonline account.

This will allow you to:
  • apply for initial registration
  • apply to renew your registration after three years
  • manage your registration including recording your post registration training and learning. (PRTL)
You will need to provide:
  • a personal email address that is unique to yourself so we can contact you
  • your national insurance number
  • details of your job, including address, job title and start date (or future start date if it’s a new job)
  • your employment history since leaving school
  • your bank details to setup a Direct Debit to pay your fees. (more information is on our fees page)
  • your verified qualification certificate (not required for all social work students)
  • the date of your most recent criminal records check (CRB or DBS) (not required for all social work students)
  • confirmation that you intend to practise in Wales
  • verified copies of your ID documents.
Disciplinary record and criminal offences

You must tell us in your application if you:

  • have a disciplinary record
  • are currently the subject of an investigation
  • have a criminal record.
Endorsement (does not apply to student applications)

Applications to register must be endorsed. This gives us confirmation and evidence:

  • of your good character
  • there aren’t any reasons why you shouldn’t be on the Register.

On your application you must select the person who’ll endorse your application. Select someone from the list of approved individuals for your organisation.

If you’re qualifying in Wales, select a signatory from the degree course provider or current social care employer. If you get employment by the time we receive confirmation of your qualification, we’ll contact your new employer. This happens before we complete your registration.

Your endorser will be able to view all information on your application apart from your health and equality and diversity answers.

Your endorser must be a professional individual who isn’t a relative and doesn’t have a personal relationship with you.

More information about endorsements:

Your health

You must tell us if you have any physical or mental health conditions that may affect your ability to work in social care.

Supporting documents

You must not send us original documents, send us copies that have been verified. This means they’re signed by an authorised person who has seen the original documents (there’s more information in the Endorsement section below).

To send us scanned documents:

  • go to your SCWonline account
  • click ‘My Profile’
  • select ‘Upload a document’.

Starting university

If you’ve been offered a place on a social work degree course we will contact you about registration with the information given to us by the university/course provider.

Please don’t create a SCWonline account until you receive an invite from us to register.

All students will receive two emails:

  1. An invite to register
  2. A link to activate your SCWonline account.

You must be registered with us before starting a social work degree in Wales.

More information on the social work bursary scheme 

Final year students qualifying this year

Studying in a Welsh University

A Welsh university will tell us when your course ends. Then we’ll remove your name from the part of the Register for students.

If you have passed your course, we will invite you to apply as a social worker. To apply you must:

  • log in to your SCWonline and
  • complete a new application.

The information we already have available makes this process quicker and easier. As you’ve been registered with us before, you don’t need to send in any documents. Applications can be made up to two months before you qualify. You will not be registered until we have received the official exam board results for your course.

Studying outside of Wales but in the UK

Once you have evidence of your qualification please

  • create a SCWonline account
  • apply as a person ‘qualified with a UK Degree/ Master’s in Social Work from a University outside Wales’.

We’ll ask you for the information required to register for the first time. This includes verified copies of your identity documents and a verified copy of your qualification certificate. These can be uploaded directly into your SCWonline account.

Returning to the Register

If you’ve created a MyCareCouncil or a SCWonline account in the past, please do not create a new one.

Simply log back in:

  • use the same username and password
  • select the application you want.

There is a ‘Forgotten log in details’ on this page if you need to reset the password.

You will be able to see and change the information we have from your previous registration.

For more information on accessing your account please read the guidance below.

We will ask someone returning to the Register

  • to provide evidence of Post Registration Training and Learning for the period since last registered
  • to pay any outstanding fees.

Someone returning to practice will need to demonstrate current knowledge and understanding of contemporary social work practice to apply for registration.

Please read the below before submitting an application to return to the Register

Individuals removed under a removal order by a fitness to practise committee can only apply to be restored to the Register five years after the date they were removed.

Further information about Fitness to practise

Last updated: 05 February 2018