This learning resource aims to provide an understanding of how to work using positive and proactive approaches and reduce the use of restrictive practices in social care.
Although it is aimed at social care workers, it is also useful for:
- people who use services and their families
- policy makers
- those in education
- others who work in the community, including primary care and the emergency services.
The resource supports best practice using examples and scenarios. It can be used:
- during supervision and appraisal
- as part of induction
- as training sessions
- to inform policy and protocols
- as part of auditing and quality assurance
- to inform commissioning.
The resource has been developed in partnership with the social care sector. It has been reviewed with the social care sector in line with the Welsh Government’s Reducing Restrictive Practices Framework.
It’s structured around the values and principles of the Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act.
It should be read alongside the Code of Professional Practice for Social Care.