BrowseAloud reads website content out-loud, highlighting each word as it is spoken in a high quality, human-sounding voice.
- Text-to-speech with choice of reading speeds and highlighters to help reading comprehension
- On-screen text magnifier helps users with visual impairments
- MP3 generator converts text to audio files for offline listening
- Screen mask blocks on-screen clutter, letting readers focus on text being read
- Web page simplifier removes distracting content for easier reading.
BrowseAloud can be accessed on the Accessibility tool bar at the top of the webpage.
Logical and consistent navigation are provided for keyboard users.
Links can be understood out of context for screen reader users.
Links are highlighted on keyboard focus.
Our logo links to the home page.
Skip navigation link - For sighted users, the 'skip to' links are revealed by pressing the tab key after the page loads. You can skip to different areas of the page, depending on what options are available. Unfortunately, Skip Links may not function correctly in all browsers so please let us know if you are experiencing problems.
Screen reader navigation
If you are using a screen reader, you should be able to navigate through the site using the following keyboard commands:
- H to move forwards through the page headings
- Shift + H to move backwards through the page headings
- 1 to navigate to the next level 1 heading (or 2 for the next level 2 heading, and so on to heading 6)
- Shift + 1 to navigate to the previous level 1 heading (same applies for headings 2-6)
- Insert + F5 to get a list of all form controls on the page
- Insert + F6 to get a list of all headings on the page
- Insert + F7 to get a list of all links on the page
The site has been cross-platform and cross-browser tested and is currently compatible with modern browsers including:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 8+
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari
- Google Chrome 10+
- Opera 10+.
Please note: You may experience issues with older versions of these browsers or other web browsers. If you experience any issues, please feel free to contact us.
We have made files available to download in a variety of formats.
The most common are:
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
- Microsoft Word (.doc)
If you are unable to open these types of documents, please download and install the latest versions of the free viewer software:
We currently use Youtube to present video information. All videos have an accompanying transcription that can be downloaded.