Skip to main content
Site accessibility
Renewing your registration
Registration is for up to three years. After that you will need to renew online or your registration will lapse. We will send you a renewal reminder 86 days before your renewal date. If your application is incomplete you must supply any missing information before renewal is granted.

How do I renew?

Login into your SCWonline account

Go to ‘Renew My Registration‘ – select the Renew button.

Complete the renewal form – it will be available from 86 days before your renewal date.  The form will show the current information we have on your record. You will be able to make changes to this information.

You must complete the form and pay the fees before we can process your application. At your three year renewal you will also need to submit your Post Registration Training and Learning (PRTL).

What if I don't renew my registration?

Your registration will lapse. Lapsing means your name is removed from the Register, you won’t be registered and can’t legally practise in Wales. To return to the Register you will need to:

  • make a new application
  • satisfy all requirements
  • supply your post registration training and learning (PRTL)
  • pay any outstanding fees

You must complete your renewal at least 21 days before your renewal date. If you don’t, we’ll send you a notice of intention to remove your name from the Register. It will also be sent to your last known employer.

We can’t guarantee to process renewal applications in less than 21 days. Unless renewed, registration will lapse one day after your renewal date.

Suitable to register and work

Everyone on the Register has to show they’re suitable to register and work in social care by:

  • being appropriately qualified
  • being physically and mentally fit to practise
  • having the right character and competence
  • agreeing to follow the Code of Professional Practice for Social Care
  • confirming they intend to practise social work in Wales during their registration period
  • confirming they will practise in Wales in the type of work they applied to register for
  • registered workers must provide evidence of post registration training and learning (PRTL).

Refusing registration at renewal

We investigate if there’s evidence that questions someone’s suitability to work in social care.

We can refuse registration and we can impose sanctions such as:

  • restrictions on working
  • training requirements
  • work experience.

Post registration training and learning (PRTL)

Registered social workers, managers and workers have to keep a record of their PRTL. This doesn’t apply to social work students.

You must do 15 days or 90 hours of training and learning during each three year period of registration (six hours = one day). This must be discussed with your manager before submitting it to us.

You must submit evidence of your training as part of your application to renew. To make the renewal process easier we recommend you regularly record your PRTL throughout your renewal period. To add PRTL records:

  • log into your SCWonline account
  • select My Registration – then select PRTL.

You will need to record:

  • the date
  • how long was it for
  • name of training or learning
  • a brief description of how the training contributed to your professional development.

Do I need to get my renewal endorsed and my PRTL verified?

Social workers

The majority of social workers don’t need to get their renewal endorsed.

We select a sample of social workers to have their PRTL verified. If you’re selected, you will be notified. You’ll need to take a copy of your PRTL to your line manager to verify it. They’ll do this by printing their name, signing and dating the copy. It should then be scanned and uploaded through your SCWonline account.

Social care workers and managers

All social care workers and managers need to get their renewal endorsed and their PRTL verified.

When completing your application you will be asked to choose from a list of approved people for your organisation called signatories. Pick one of these to endorse you. They can log in to their account, view the information and complete the required questions. This will verify they’ve seen your PRTL and endorse your renewal.

Your endorser must be a professional individual who:

  • isn’t a relative
  • doesn’t have a personal relationship with you.

If you’re self-employed or have a family business you can submit the PRTL without verification as well as a non-returnable summary portfolio. This must show how you’ve met the training and learning requirements. It should have evidence such as:

  • copies of attendance certificates
  • brief summary of outcomes of your learning.

More information about endorsement can be found in:

What happens if I cannot maintain the PRTL required for registration?

We can refuse an application for renewal if you haven’t completed the required 90 hours or 15 days PRTL. Once removed from the Register you won’t be able to work in a role that needs registration.

In exceptional circumstances you can submit a written statement explaining why you have not met the PRTL requirements to the Registrar.

Contact us

If you have a question you can Contact us.

Last updated: 05 April 2019