What are NOS?
- define the key functions of an occupation
- describe the skills, knowledge and understanding needed to perform tasks effectively (e.g. nursery practitioner, social care manager, support worker)
- are developed through consultation with employers and stakeholders and have official status in the UK
- are reviewed regularly which means they evolve over time.
- are approved by agencies working for UK government departments.
Using NOS in the workplace
NOS have many uses in the workplace. These include:
- qualifications and training
- career development
- continuing professional development (CDP)
- performance management of the workforce and organisations.
We have a NOS guide that has advice, guidance and case studies on their use within the workplace.
Browse all NOS
We work with employers, workers and service users to develop, maintain and update NOS.
These include the standards for:
- Commissioning, procurement and contracting
- Health and social care and leadership and management of care services
- Inspectors of services
- Sensory services
- Social work