Group A practitioners are all staff who work or volunteer in a public or voluntary sector organisation or agency in Wales.
- those in private sector settings
- elected members of local authorities.
Competence for this group is for all practitioners and volunteers to:
- have an understanding about safeguarding
- know what they, and others, need to do
- know their responsibility to share concerns of actual or potential harm, abuse or neglect.
Group A training should be completed before training for the other groups, unless the full content of group A training is included in training delivered in other ways.
- I know what the term safeguarding means.
- I know what to look out for.
- I know who to report to.
According to the standards, people in group A should know:
- how to work in ways that safeguard people from abuse, harm and neglect
- the factors, situations and actions that could lead or contribute to abuse, harm or neglect
- how to report, respond and record concerns or allegations related to safeguarding.